Sunday, September 29, 2013

Living Root Bridges of Meghalaya....


Since I was kid I so wanted to visit the place that is hidden from the world and have an identity of its own. And I was so into finding and visiting that place that I became super finicky to go to some place that I started reading, Goggling and asking everything about the place from anyone or everyone that knows about that place.

Then one day I came to listen about my dream place from a friend of mine. Lush green valley, covered in clouds and an unknown kind of place. ‘People with flare of adventure go there as that place is far away from the real world’. After listening to this I became more and more eager every second to visit that place.
After reaching the nearest town we started our journey next day early morning. Although it was pitch dark but I could smell the freshness of the lush green mountains in the air. Slowly-slowly the darkness of the night started getting lost into the brightness of the morning sun and the view that was coming out was amazing and beyond from any description anyone can give.
Lush green valley, mountains and mountains as far as the eyes can see, and drizzling weather, it was all in all beyond that anyone can imagine in a dream also. After a drive of almost an hour we reached the hotel, the small hotel was on the top of the hill. Standing near the fence one can see far-far away in the valley. There was beautiful village with beautifully painted Church down there.
“It’s beautiful, beyond imagination”
“Yes, but there is something much more beautiful than this”
“Ok I want to see that”
And the owner of the hotel told me that magical thing is behind the hotel down approximately two hundred and fifty stairs. With just this little information and a trust I started my journey, without knowing what I was going to.
And I just ran down the stairs, I reached in an hour and when I reached there I could not believe what I saw, it was like dream come true, beautiful swing like bridge was in front one my eyes. It’s called ‘Living root bridge’ and the bridge is made by joining roots of two trees across the river so that people can go across easily. But now the bridge can even take the weight of a small car too. Cycle, people and bikes the bridge can take the weight of anything. It’s called “Living root bridge” as the two trees that it has been made of are still alive and still growing. The bridge was made by a single person who himself joined two tree roots and did this everyday and spend year after year to get the final result. It’s in lush green valley and is must see for everyone.


 The Meghalaya in North-east India have beautiful valleys, mountain ranges, water-falls and breath taking views but the “Living root Bridges are the must see. And it’s in Cherapunji town of Meghalaya, North-East India.
With this my thirst to see the most beautiful place before I die was somewhat quenched. 
I am proud of my India. 



4 comments:

  1. A charming post on what we all call the 'living heritage' of India... wish I drive in my Storme to this place some day! :)

    Arvind Passey
    www.passey.info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Arvind
      But that place is much more beautiful than any words can describe.
      Regards

      Delete
  2. beautiful post...planning a trip to meghalaya and assam next yr...and now i know one thing i just have to see...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks
      Yes this is the one place u should must see.
      Regards

      Delete

Please do not add any spam link in the comment box, Thanks.